Eucalyptus Oil extraction is yet another important old time industry here. One can smell the fragrance of the Oil wafting through the air during the course of extraction. Apart from leaves, the pulp wood is used as a major raw material for the manufacture of viscose for a factory situated at the foot hills of the Nilgiris District. Also the bark and the twigs are collected and distributed as a fuel supply (fire wood) under public distribution system
CORDITE FACTORY ARUVANKADU
The Government of India, Ministry of Defense have set up a Cordite Factory at Aruvankadu, near Coonoor on the Coonoor-Ooty Road. The Factory was established in the year 1901. The Factory is engaged in the production of propellants for Gun Ammunition.
HINDUSTAN PHOTO FILIMS - OOTY
HPF was setup with the objective of supplying raw cine films to Motion Picture Industry, X-Ray films for Hospitals and special photographic materials for professional and amateur photographers in the Country.
NEEDLE INDUSTRIES (INDIA) PRIVATE LIMITED., KETTI
In 1949, this was a British brewer factory slowly switched over to manufacture of Gramophone Needles and later on to hand sewing needles and then started their export somewhere in the year 1964 and from then on standing as leading manufacturers of Needles in the world and with diversifications of manufacturing of suture needles, knitting pins, safety pins, snap fasteners and now standing as a leader in the manufacture of above in the whole world. "Needle makers to the world".
RALLIES INDIA LTD.,SANDYNALLA
An industry for manufacturing extracted products such as gelatine, ossein and allied Chemical products etc. was setup in the year 1971 in Sandynalla near Udhagamandalam under private sector.
NILIGIRIS DISTRICT CO-OPERATIVE MILK PRODUCERS UNION LTD
The Govt. have setup a unit at Ooty under Co-operative sector which is engaged in the manufacture of milk products such as cream, butter, ghee, palkova, ice-cream and cheese.
HINDUSTAN UNILEVER LTD., KETTI
M/s Hindustan Lever Ltd., a private concern has setup a unit on Kekkatty Road, Ketti for the manufacture of mushroom and mushroom based products
The Tamil Nadu Small Industries Development Corporation (TANSIDCO) has set up an industrial estate at Udhagamandalam in 1982. In the Nilgiris district, the total number of small scale industries units was only 39 during 1980 - 81 and this has risen up to 176 during 1986 - 87. However, during 1987 - 88, there was a slight decrease in the number of small scale industries units, which stood at 171. During 1988 - 89, 111 were registered.
DISTRICT INDUSTRIES CENTRE (DIC):
The Government of India had taken a new industrial policy in 1978 for rapid growth of small scale units and tiny industries with a view to maximize employment opportunities and raise the income levels in rural areas. Accordingly, District Industries Center were set up in every district from 1978, so as to provide all services and assistance required by small and village industries through a single agency.
INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, UDHAGAMANDALAM:
TANSIDCO has set up an Industrial Estate at Udhagamandalam near Hindusthan Photo Film Limited, in 1982 at a cost of Rs.15.69 lakhs. The land was retransferred by M/s. Hindustan Photo Film Limited to SIDCO, free of cost, for the construction of shed for small scale Industries units and for tiny sector. Government sanctioned a sum of Rs. 5 lakhs as share capital assistance during 1981 - 82 for construction of sheds in the industrial estate.
TANSI WATCH ASSEMBLING UNIT:
The unit was incorporated in the year 1978. It commenced production with effect from 1st August 1978 and it is engaged in assembling watches only. The required raw materials are supplied by the Hindustan Machine Tools (H.M.T). The investment on land and building is about Rs.4.23 lakhs and on machinery and equipment is Rs.6.46 lakhs. The unit has provided employment to 103 persons.
HYDRO ELECTRIC SYSTEMS
KATERI HYDRO - ELECTRIC SYSTEM:
This is the earliest hydro - electric system installed in the district. The Kateri stream rises in the Kateri and Ketti valleys in the district. The Kateri falls is situated in the Ketti valley and flows from a height of 54.86 meters. Just above the falls, a dam to a height of 11.58m. was built across the outlet of a natural basin and a reservoir with a storage capacity of 12 1/4 million cubic feet formed in 1902. Above this, another dam enclosing a supplementary reservoir with a storage capacity of 10 million cubic feet was built later, in the year 1916. The length of the power house was 30.48 m; breadth 9.14 m. and height 10.36m. and it was designed to contain the whole of the generating plant, which consisted of four 125 KW. sets and one 500 KW. set, giving current at 5000 volts.
PYKARA HYDRO - ELECTRIC SYSTEM:
The pykara hydro electric system stands as a monumental example of the natural potentialities of the district for the generation of power. The pykara power plant is the highest head plant so far installed in the whole of Asia. It is situated at the height of 938.78 meters. The Pykara scheme which is the first hydro - electric project under taken by the composite Madras State was sanctioned in the year 1929.
MOYAR HYDRO - ELECTRIC SCHEME:
The Moyar hydro - electric scheme in the district is the first hydro - electric project executed in the First Five Year Plan period. The project utilizes the tail water of the Pykara station over a drop of 396.24 meters and makes it available for 16 km. below the Pykara power house. Work on the scheme was begun in 1946 and completed in 1952.
KUNDAH HYDRO - ELECTRIC SCHEME:
The Kundah hydro - electric scheme is the biggest among the schemes so far executed to generate electricity in the State. Two streams, the Avalanche and the Emerald, rising amidst the group of high peaks, Devarbatta, Karaikada, Koulingabetta and Porthimund, all over 2438.40 m. The scheme was sanctioned by the Government in September 1955 at an estimated cost of Rs.3544 lakhs including transmission line. Executed during Second Five Year Plan period. A combined storage by two dams across Avalanche and Emerald Streams with a capacity of 5500 cubic feet.
EMARALD AND AVALANCHE DAMS:
The Emerald and Avalanche dams have been built across the Emerald and Avalanche streams which are two arms of the kundah river. They are situated at a distance of about 29 km. from Udhagamandalam. It has a total storage of 5500 million cubic feet. The Avalanche dam is 372 m. in length and 57.66 m. height, while the Emerald dam is 328.6 m. lon and 65.72 m. height. The two reserviors thus formed are interconnected by a tunnel 733.77 m. long of horse shoe shape with a discharge of capacity of 900 cusecs.