Tamil Nadu State Rural Livelihoods Mission (Mahalir Thittam)
Mahalir Thittam is a socio-economic empowerment programme for women implemented by Tamil Nadu Corporation for Development of Women Ltd. Mahalir Thittam is based on Self Help Group (SHG). The hallmark of the SHGs promoted by Mahalir Thittam is the systematic training provided to the SHG members and the office bearers. This capacity building brings about qualitative changes in the attitude of the women and promotes cohesion and effective functioning of the group.
Tamil Nadu State Rural Livelihoods Mission (TNSRLM):
The Government of Tamil Nadu is implementing a special scheme called Tamil Nadu State Rural Livelihood Mission from the year 2012-13. The Mission activities are funded by Government of India and the State Government in the ratio of 60:40.
The objectives of TNSRLM is to build strong and vibrant institutional platforms of the poor in the rural areas which enable them to increase their household incomes through livelihood enhancements and access to financial and other services. Under this scheme the target group comprises of poor and vulnerable section of the community. The target people are organized into active Community Based Organisations (CBOs) to provide sustainable livelihood opportunities.
The salient features of TNSRLM :
- Identification and mobilization of the left out poor into the SHG network.
- Establishing and strengthening community organisations of the rural poor.
- Social empowerment of the rural poor through capacity building.
- Promotion of livelihoods of the poor including the vulnerable and differently-abled.
- Improving the quality of the SHG products and providing marketing opportunities.
- Providing financial assistance to SHGs for on-lending to their members for taking up economic activities.
- Employment linked skill training for rural youth.
- Convergence with the Government departments to leverage their financial and non-financial services and utilizing them in an effective manner.
- Enabling the rural poor to access basic facilities and train them in conserving their environment and sanitation.
Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM):
The Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Urban Livelihood Mission (DAY-NULM) intends to reduce poverty and vulnerability of the urban poor households by enabling them to access gainful self-employment and skilled wage employment opportunities, resulting in an appreciable improvement in their livelihoods on a sustainable basis, through building strong grassroots level institutions of the poor. The scheme is being implemented from the year 2014-15. DAY-NULM is a centrally sponsored scheme funded by both the Central and the State Governments in the ratio of 60:40.
The components of the DAY-NULM are:
- Social Mobilization and Institution Development (SM&ID).
- Capacity Building and Training (CB&T).
- Employment through Skill Training and Placement (EST&P).
- Self Employment Programme (SEP).
- Support to Urban Street Vendors (SUH).
- Scheme of Shelter for Urban Homeless (SUSV), and an exclusive component, Innovation & Special Projects (I&SP)
MAJOR ACTIVITIES OF MAHALIR THITTAM:
- Credit rating and Linkage
- Revolving Fund to SHGs
- Panchayat Level Federation (PLF)
- Job opportunity through Skill Training for Youth
- Manimegalai Awards
- Cultural Competitions
- Job Melas & Job Fairs
- College Bazaars
Additional Collectorate Building,
Finger Post, Udhagai,
Telephone No: 0423-2444430
Mobile No : 9444094314